Gasoline and diesel vehicles, excluding hybrids, which are subject to a Smog Check
inspection, must be tested for visible smoke. Other than the time when the snaps are
performed and the EIS / OIS data entry prompts, the Visible Smoke Test procedures are the
same for gasoline and diesel vehicles. However the pass/fail standards are different.
Summary of Test Procedures:
• Idle Test - Observe the tailpipe exhaust plume of the vehicle for 10 seconds.
• Crankcase Test - Observe the engine crankcase for 10 seconds.
• BAR Snap Test - Quickly push-and-release the accelerator pedal from idle position to between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM, then immediately allow the engine to return to idle.
• Enter the test result into the EIS or OIS.
• Document any failure on the Vehicle Inspection Report, and the customer’s invoice.
Note: Do not check for smoke during the first BAR snap Test