Test Requirements: California-Smog-Law
(1) Gasoline includes alternative fueled vehicles, e.g., ethanol, methanol, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), compressed natural gas (CNG), etc. Dedicated propane and natural gas vehicles over 14,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) do not require a Smog Check inspection.
(2) Hybrid vehicles are powered by both internal combustion and electric power sources.
(3) Diesel-powered vehicles with a GVWR greater than 14,000 lbs. are exempt from the Smog Check Program.
(4) Exception: Some model-year 2000 and newer gasoline category vehicles will require a tailpipe test on the BAR-97 EIS. These include vehicles without OBDII systems, and vehicles over 14,000 lbs. GVWR, and vehicles identified by BAR with problematic OBDII systems.
(5) ASM required for vehicles registered in Enhanced program areas, unless vehicle is incompatible with dynamometer test, then TSI shall be performed. TSI required in Basic and Change of Ownership Program areas.
(6) The EGR functional inspection is only performed in conjunction with a TSI tailpipe test.
All 1976 - 1995 gasoline vehicles require a "ASM" Acceleration Simulation Mode or Two Speed Idle Test "TSI" inspection on the BAR-97
All 1996 - 1999 gasoline vehicles also require a "ASM" Acceleration Simulation Mode or Two Speed Idle Test "TSI" inspection on the BAR -97
more information: click here